Sunday, May 27, 2012

He is speaking, can you hear Him?

Today is the Sabbath, and our first full day in Kenya. After a tumultous 49 hours of traveling, we were welcomed last night by the fresh scent of rain and a beautiful rainbow stretching out over the countryside. Our bags made it - from ATL to Washington, DC to Zurich, then rerouted to Dubai and finally to Nairobi! It felt even better to wake up this morning, well-rested, safe, and greeted by the sounds of birds outside of my window. With late arrivals and a heavy rainy season thus far, we opted to do church together here at Gracia.

We spent our time worshipping the Lord and discussing communion with God - something that the Holy Spirit has consistently brought to the forefront. The phrase that keeps on coming back to me is "I am searching for my heart." It began two weeks ago during a "date" with God - extended meditation and quiet time - and it has continued through friends, Cornerstone's speaker, Sarah Ott and the message she shared, devotionals, and today, our message. It is still astounding that the Creator of the Universe, the One true God, desires an intimate relationship with me, an imperfect, broken sinner. But He does not see me this way. He sees me for all that He created me to be - His daughter created in His image - fearfully and wonderfully made, destined for greatness through a relationship with Jesus Christ. We owe it to ourselves and to God to cultivate this relationship He has designed us for - how else will we know Jesus and be able to become more like Him? That is God's desire for us. It is here in relationship that God speaks to us, teaches us, instructs, guides, and counsels us. Through this relationship, service, program and productivity flows. Let us fully abide in Him as He abides in us. This delights the Lord as we come to Him, humbly and hungry for His word.

 "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him." (John 14:12, 16-21 ESV)

As Ginger and all of the other messages the Holy Spirit has been sending me, listening to and communing with God is a lifestyle. It takes discipline and practice. You must set your heart and mind on His promises and rest in those. "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord,and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. (Psalm 37:3-7 ESV)

How is God speaking to you? What are you going to do if you cannot hear Him right now?

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer
    Love reading your blog. I love you and as always you make me proud.
    Love mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to church today with Mom and Vinny. It was an incredible service. Your mom said that it was as if the service was meant for me. I am so blessed to be here for these 3 weeks. I cannot wait until next Sunday to go back again. Love you!

    Love,
    Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete