Friday, May 25, 2012

Gratitude

Today is full of blessings, but not the kind you would imagine.  We all have different perspectives and ideas that come to mind when you hear the word.  A new baby, the marriage proposal, the dream job landed, whatever you've perceived as that "thing" that will make all the difference in your life. 

But today I am reminded of the blessings that we overlook as we are busy "doing" rather than being.  God's peace and abundant life are offered through Him.  This in itself is enough.  But God still chooses to bless us immensely beyond salvation-it's just whether or not you open your eyes and engage your senses to the world He has created and orchestrated for you.  Today I chose to find what I am thankful for rather than the small trials that come with everyday life in our broken world.  Until we meet our Maker again, we can fully expect trials, but the difference is in how we approach and handle life's circumstances. 

Everyone knows the latter part of the scripture, but I find myself resting in the contentment that comes from Christ alone. God has really been showing me this lately.

For I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13 ESV)

I am thankful for God rescuing and restoring me.  The gift of grace is something that I will never wholly comprehend, but I pray that I would continue to extend grace and His love to others as He has done for me.  Today begins the fourth journey God has planned for me to embark upon - journeys to places I never thought I would go to for reasons that I never conceived.   I am grateful for the generosity of others.  Both of my trips were fully funded because of people's generosity and ultimately the support and spread of His kingdom.  To see others selflessly giving towards something so much bigger than ourselves is so inspiring.   I am humbled by the call of God and the privilege to obey, the community He has surrounded me with, and I am honored to be the hands and feet of Christ in Kinyago-Dandora.  I am privileged to sit around a table with godly women, to hear their stories, absorb their wisdom, and be invested and poured into as we sit in the various airports.  I love discussing the same book with my Africa group as my Haiti team (Toxic Charity - a must read for nonprofits!) and hearing of budding ideas from the women of the community for microenterprise.  

God in everything:  For the glowing, beautiful sunset over Washington, DC as we departed for Zurich, the ability to reshuffle all of my belongings into 2 perfect 50 pound bags, Meghan driving me to the airport, the woman next to me trading seats (I love a good window seat!), soft, fuzzy socks that were practical but also brought me joy because one of my students gave them to me, facetime with my momma!, sincere encouragement from friends, Karen coming to lunch in Washington, DC, the empty seat next to me allowing me ample room to curl up on the plane, the afternoon latte after 20 hours of travel and the Dove dark chocolate reminding me to open my eyes to the love all around me.  What are you thankful for today?

Logistical update:  After a mechanical failure in DC, we departed for Zurich three hours later than expected and subsequently missed our connecting flight to Nairobi.  We have been rebooked on the third flight to Dubai to then connect into Nairobi as our nearest flight.  After some light cardio around the airport and pleading with staff, we finally found someone to take pity on our group since everyone had varying information.  Once one person was helpful, the mercy continued!  Our bags are located, we are fed, and if all goes to the (new) plan, we depart at 10:45 tonight and should arrive around 6am tomorrow morning.  Our last flight connects to Nairobi bringing us in around 2pm on Saturday.  I am thankful to be in good company during this wait and to share some deep belly laughs during our (mis)adventures in Zurich!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful for everything in my life. I am learning so much each day and will continue to pray for guidance. I love you Jen and I am so very proud of you! You are an amazing woman! Love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete